Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Gud Old Granny...and Cricket!

I share a rather special relationship with my granny.She is like one of the those ideal grannies that we get to envisage from the stories.A hyper-active,impulsive and very emotional person by nature making goodies at the slightest insinuation of her grandchildren!

Let me just get the title to relate to the text here!...

It was during my school days when we got the cable connection at my granny's place there used to be a big junta consisting of my cousins and I for watching the cricket matches.Since she didnot follow the game at that time she used to be really bored during the 10 hours when we were shouting at the vagaries of one day cricket.

So we chalked out an action plan. "Why not get granny interested in cricket??"So it started with the 1996 world cup,we started to explain all the fundas of cricket.And voila...She was instantly caught on to the cricket fever the one day version in particular.Slowly she started follwing cricket with a keen intent on the performance of indian players.The best incident was during the world- cup quarter finals when India played pakistan.She prayed that she would offer lord ganesh 10 coconuts if India won the match...!!As we all know her sincere prayers were answered.!!
This saga continues till date...

She gives us score updates with pin-point accuracy when we missed the matchs.To concede the truth she is a great fan of Sachin and Rahul Dravid.!! To my astonishment she still refers to sachin as a BOY!!(Paiyan!!)She has her own tamil parlance for the english equivalents for the various cricketing terms...!!Even today she watches cricket with the same fervor unscathed by the different scams,match fixing!!

Granny seems to be the real fan of the game!!This time when I went home we had a small discussion...!!Should Sachin still play for the team??(I just wanted to know her opinion!!)
She was astonished for a moment!!And asked "Why should he quit??He has played so well till date??It is just that he is running a bad time with unfavourable stars???He will surely do well!!I know him!!"This answer in itself is a testimony to the number of hearts tendeulkar has touched!!The faith that poeple have on him!!Though I am no more an ardent fan of cricket....I have managed to make some real ardent fans ..One of them being my granny!!

Does this ring a bell to all those people who are crying against the master blaster...!Sachin is an individual who respects himslef!So at any point when he feels that he is losing his touch.I strongly believe that he will be on his way out of the cricketing field!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dalaharp said...

Good that she saved those 10 coconuts...she can use it when Sachin gets his 50th ODI hundred...

I believe he will get it, and in the course, win tourneys for India..

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rashmi Kantharaja said...

Interesting!.....Great granny that.
I guess, Tendulkar gets some solace that there remains at least one ardent fan for him even when he is undergoing a lean patch.
Wonderful expressed!

8:51 PM  
Blogger gus said...

Hey thnks Vishnu and rash!...

9:25 PM  
Blogger Nero said...

Very well put da macha.. I've never known paatis who watched things other than chitti and mettioli types on tv.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home